If you've been to a cocktail bar or lounge in the last few months you've probably noticed there are new ingredient additions popping up everywhere and CBD just so happens to be one of the more popular new ingredients (see Charcoal and Egg Whites for other trendy add ons).
This shift towards incorporating CBD oil into cocktails is proof that the mainstream (or at least hospitality industry) is starting to adopt Cannabis extracts in a way that makes it not only look pretty and easy to understand, but taste great too!
Unlike THC, CBD will NOT get you "High" or have any sort of psychoactive effect, however it does contribute to the "buzz" you might experience after having a cocktail with alcohol. Many note that CBD in an alcoholic beverage allows one to feel even more relaxed or calm, giving a "body buzz" effect. Some have noted that CBD has been shown to reduce nausea and even help prevent those awful hangovers for when things get a little out of hand.
Given the two forms of CBD, Isolate and Full Spectrum, one can also achieve very distinct and different flavors from adding the oils to a cocktail.
Specifically, Full Spectrum CBD oil will have a more earthy and "green" taste. The oil also is typically thicker and of a green hue which can alter the texture and appearance of a beverage.
Here at Green Drop we have tested a few of our favorite combos and suggested CBD oils to accompany them. Try them out and let us know what you think!
CBD MINT JULEP RECIPE
1. Muddle the leaves and simple syrup in a chilled julep cup.
2. Add the bourbon and top with pebble ice.
3. Swizzle, then top with more pebble ice.
4. Garnish with 3 cannabis leaves or 3 mint sprigs.
1 ounce mezcal
1 ounce aquavit
3/4 ounce lime juice
3/4 ounce agave syrup
1 ounce cannabis leaf juice or your favorite green juice like celery, arugula, kale
1 pinch sea salt
15 mg CBD tincture - Suggested Crystal Creek Organics Flavorless Hemp Tincture 1500 MG
cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or greens of choice, to garnish
1. In a shaker filled with ice, combine the mezcal, aquavit, lime juice, agave syrup, green juice, salt, and CBD tincture.
2. Shake, then fine strain into a lowball glass with one large ice cube.
3. Garnish with a cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or your favorite greens.
SPANISH STYLE GIN AND TONIC
1 1/2 ounces gin
3 1/2 ounces tonic water
1/4 ounce lemon juice
15 mg CBD oil - Suggested Crystal Creek Organics Mandarin Orange 1500 MG CBD Oil
aromatics of choice such as marijuana leaves, lime wheel, grapefruit peel, edible flowers, herbs, and peppercorns
1. In a wine glass, combine the gin, lemon juice, and tonic water. Top with ice.
2. Arrange aromatics in the drink in an aesthetically-pleasing fashion.
3. Float CBD oil on top.